Driving in Playa del Carmen
Basic rules for driving in Playa del Carmen
in Playa del Carmen is a wonderful experience. One of the most striking
destinations in the Riviera Maya, Playa del Carmen, a fishing town has the merit of
being one of the cities that served as the cradle of the Mayan
Civilization and even today the Ruins of the ancient Mayan city
constitute one of the most striking attractions. .
Playa del Carmen has become a modern and tourist city, so it is very well signposted. Therefore driving through Playa del Carmen is easy and safe.
The speed limit in the City for light vehicles is 70 km. If you travel through neighboring rural areas, you should not exceed 90 km / h and on the motorways the maximum speed allowed is 100 km / h.
Minimum Age to Drive in Playa del Carmen
To drive in the city of Playa del Carmen you must be at least 18 years old. To rent a car you must be at least 21 years old.
Part of the road
In Playa del Carmen, as in all of Mexico, you must drive on the right side of the road.
Seat belt and use of telephones
use of the seat belt is mandatory to drive in Playa del Carmen. On the other hand,
you must bear in mind that the use of telephones while driving is
prohibited, which is why you can be fined.
In the event that you travel with your baby, it is mandatory that you use a special seat for babies, to avoid accidents.
What documents do I need to present to drive a car in Playa del Carmen?
To drive a car in Playa del Carmen you must present the following documents:
- Valid driver's license
- Personal identification or passport
- In the event that you rent a car, Civil Liability Insurance is mandatory throughout Mexico.
Traffic lights in Playa del CarmenThe city of Playa del Carmen, despite being a relatively small city, has good signage, which includes traffic lights in the most trafficked and dangerous places.
Faqs to drive in Playa del Carmen
Is it safe to drive in Playa del Carmen?Driving in Playa del Carmen is safe as the city has good roads (except for more intricate areas on the outskirts). On the other hand, the traffic signs in the city are very intuitive even if you do not know the Spanish language and they abound throughout the city, especially in the downtown area where there is more traffic.
Tips for driving in Playa del Carmen
- Strictly follow traffic laws
Do not drink alcoholic beverages before driving
- Don't use your cell phone while driving
you are going to travel to more intricate or remote areas of the city,
it is recommended that you use the GPS to stay well located and avoid
- If you are stopped by the police for committing an offense, address the authorities in a cordial and respectful manner.
- Under no circumstances try to bribe the agents, as it is penalized by Mexican law.
About parking in Playa del CarmenAlthough Playa del Carmen is not characterized by theft of cars or accessories, nor by violence, it is recommended that you follow a group of basic measures to guarantee the protection of your car. The same that you should use in any other destination in the world:
- Do not leave your car with the keys in a place where someone can take them.
- Do not leave your vehicle parked with the windows down
- Do not leave your vehicle at night in areas where there is little lighting or little traffic
- Do not park your car in unofficial parking lots.
- Respect the signs on the pavement or vertical signs that prohibit parking in a certain area
- Respect the parking areas for the disabled in case you are not